For the coming academic year we are once again looking for volunteers with specific skills. As a volunteer you will help to empower girls and boys by giving them the skills they need to overcome poverty and to make their voice heard. We have opportunities for volunteers to assist with teaching at primary, and orphanage. Though you will of-course be working with our children full-time, your main aim will be to transfer your skills and knowledge to our Jonor Teachers.
At primary levels, volunteer teachers can teach core subjects such as English, mathematics, science, social sciences, and can initiate extra-curricular activities. For most subjects, we prefer volunteers with a relevant education.
Volunteer preschool teachers can teach Basic English skills and carry out basic childcare duties. This role is suitable for a caring, motivated, and self-directed person. A teaching qualification is not required but volunteers need to be confident in the above subjects.
Besides teaching, volunteers can help out improving upon the environment, administration, accounting, etc.. Are you very good in sports, music or art? Maybe you can teach our teachers and children something valuable?
The ability to speak read and understand English is usually of great benefit to Tanzanians. The reasons for this are many; the better paying jobs are often related to tourism, with a large English market. The same goes for the better jobs in business and working for international organisations.
Secondary school classes are taught in English, while primary school education can be taught in either English or Swahili. Much of the cultural exchange between foreigners and locals are through the use of the English language. With this, many of our programs directly or indirectly help locals to improve their English skills.
We partner with different schools, orphanages, and medical centers in and around Arusha. Listed here are just a few of the opportunities available to volunteers so as volunteer you can work in Jonor in part time and some other time you can work somewhere else you will choose. We would also welcome any other skills that you have to offer, please contact us if you think you can help out.
Working directly with our children in accordance of the School needs and priorities. Working at the Jonor School can be a rewarding experience. We expect all our staff to acknowledge that they are working with children who have perhaps not had the best start in life. We expect, alongside your duties, that you take time to interact with them and become an important role model.
Accommodation during your volunteering assignment
Jonor has it's own accommodation in Arusha, enabling us to offer safe, comfortable and especially affordable accommodation during your volunteering experience. Right now, at the end of 2011, we have had 22 volunteers from different projects staying at Jonor. Our visitors have always been happy to stay with us and enjoyed our environment.
Our place offers a fun place to meet other volunteers in a friendly, safe and affordable environment so why not stay with us and you can meet like minded people, check out the Tanzanian culture and spend time volunteering in our school and local community.
If you are looking for a break during your travels from the hustle and bustle of African life, why not relax in
our large gardens, with nice rooms, dinner and laundry included.
The hostel consists of the following rooms:
- One female dorm with 5 beds
- One male dorm with 5 beds
- One private room with double bed (shared toilets)
|> 30 nights|
- Secure, safe and green environment with a nice garden, away from the noises of town.
- Big sitting room with TV and collection with DVD if you have more you can bring it for us as well.
- A library with English books (you can swap your old books with us, one in - one out)
- Mosquito nets for every bed
- Breakfast and dinner included (we cater for vegetarians)
- Free laundry service
- Hot shower
- Out door sitting area in the big garden
- Security-guard on duty
- Personal storage space in your bedroom
- We can arrange your safari, day-trip and provide other tourist information
- Close to town by easily accessible public transport (or a short walk during the day)
- Air port pick up US$45 from Kilimanjaro airport or US$ 25 from Arusha airport
Travelers staying for 1 week or less
We require upfront payment for your entire stay . If your cancel your stay we take your first night as a
non- refundable deposit and will refund 50% of the balance. If there is availability you are welcome to
extend your stay and you can pay for this in cash.
Volunteers need to commit to a minimum of 2 weeks
You need to pay a non-refundable deposit of 50% of your stay via bank transfer to confirm your booking.
To volunteer with Jonor hostel you will need a volunteering (Class 'C') visa, at the cost of US$550, other accommodation costs can be paid in cash upon arrival.
Cash payments are accepted in US dollars, when paying through international bank transfer please ensure you select to cover all transfer costs, you bank can assist you in this.
Additional terms and conditions
- For cash payments, only US Dollar notes from 2005 or later will be accepted.
- If your choose to go away for the weekend or short trip your will be required to pay US$8 dollars for each night that you are not using our accommodation.
- Jonor can provide a personal closet with lockable up drawer.
- A Pre-Departure Guide with useful information to help you get ready for your trip
- A tour around Arusha so that you can get to know the town and also find all amenities such as banks, internet, supermarkets, post office, restaurants and bars.
- The opportunity to work with a selection of carefully picked and reputable school and local organizations.
- A tour of all the projects as well as details of what volunteers are currently doing (and have previously done) so that you can decide how best to use your skills and where to spend your time.
- Our Volunteer Coordinator who can help with any needs or concerns you have throughout your stay.
- Accommodation in a fun, clean and safe environment where you can hang out with other volunteers.
- Communal lounge room with TV/DVD and a wide range of movies and books
- Large garden to relax in with a view of Mt Meru
- 24hr Security and lockable draws for your personal items
- Hot showers
- Linen and mosquito nets on each bed
- No curfews or limitations on how you spend your time (assuming that you are respectful and understanding of the local culture and of other volunteers)
- Accommodation near the centre of town so that you can easily get around, go out, shop for souvenirs.
- Breakfast and Dinner provided everyday with a range of Western Style and African meals. (Vegetarians are catered for)
- Free laundry daily
If you would like more information, please contact us by emailing email@example.com or by using the contact form on this site...